By: Great Eastern Abattoir - Westone Pty Ltd
Published:13th September 2015
WHAT IS AN ABATTOIR?
Abattoir - an abattoir is a special facility designed and
licensed for receiving, holding, slaughtering and inspection of meat animals and meat products before
release to the public. The objectives of meat
inspection programme in abattoir are to ensure that
only apparently healthy, physiologically normal
animals are slaughtered for human consumption and
that abnormal animals are separated and dealt with
accordingly. An abattoir also ensures that meat from animals
are free from diseases, are wholesome and of no
risk to human health. These objectives can only be
achieved by suitable Meat Quality inspections during ante-mortem and postmortem
meat inspection procedures. These objectives also rely on ensuring
hygienic dressing with minimum contamination in
the abattoir. Whenever appropriate, the hazard
analysis critical control point or HACCP principles
should be used.
WHAT RISKS DO UNSAFE ABATTOIR PRACTICES POSE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION?
Lamb meat, mutton, sheep meat and goat processed in an unhygienic conditions could pose threat to the health of consumers as
well compromise the retention life and quality of such meat. Bacterial, viral, fungal and chemical contamination of meat can result from
contaminated air around the meat inside the abattoir. Infection can be conveyed by the working surfaces and
equipment used in the processing of meat inside the abattoir. To ensure these situations are avoided, Great Eastern Abattoir has mandatory meat inspection procedures, meat hygiene
activities and effective and reliable disease record keeping and documentation. Westone Pty Ltd trading as Great Eastern abattoir ensures that all aspects of the export abattoir are of the expected standard.
ENSURING SAFE LAMB EXPORT AND SHEEP ABATTOIR PROCESSING
Abattoir Australia, Great Eastern Abattoir, has:
- qualified personnel to work in the Abattoir
- lairage suited for humane rest of sheep, lamb and goats
- complete processing units in the abattoir
- ancillary abattoir accessories such as railing systems,
- adequate and potable water supply flowing to Great Eastern Abattoir
- good storage
facilities for meat, sheep, lamb, mutton and goat
- good drainage in the abattoir and surrounding abattoir premises
- efficient abattoir sanitation and abattoir waste management systems
- Our abattoir is located away from residential areas as well as fenced to
keep away predators and persons who could be harmed or trespass on the abattoir Australia grounds.
- We have ensured that our abattoir is designed to ensure the correct sequence of operation to facilitate efficiency while discouraging
contamination and cross-contamination.
UNSAFE ABATTOIR PRACTICES
The poor state of abattoirs,
ineffective meat inspection services, un-hygienic
and un-wholesome practices are worrisome and
further increase the risk of selling meat from
infected animals and contaminated meat and meat
products to the public. Disease recording is an
essential part in disease surveillance and serves as
an effective tool for disease reporting. Disease
recording in most Nigeria abattoir is inadequate or
absent. Efficient disease identification and record
keeping may contribute to the understanding of
ABATTOIR ACTIVITIES THAT COMPROMISE HEALTH, HYGIENE AND VIABILITY OF MEAT CONSUMPTION
1. Slaughtering and dragging of animals on
dirty floors. In some abattoirs across the world the observed unwholesome procedures by the abattoir
workers endanger public health because the meat being
sold is either diseased or contaminated.
2. In some abattoirs across the world where standards are not monitored, abattoir workers washing their hands and faces in drums of water used for washing carcasses or organs of
3. Washing of offal in drainage and dirty water is a cause for contamination
4.In an abattoir, carrying meat on dirty shoulders with
blood dripping on the bodies of butchers and floors will cause bacterial growth, disease and infection.
5.Transportation of meat to markets in
dirty vehicles will cause disease.
6. If meat is contaminated with ruminal content then the meat is no longer fit for human consumption.
7. Congestion of humans and animals in abattoirs increases the chance
for spread of diseases from infected lamb, sheep, mutton or goat meat to humans
and humans to humans.
8. In some parts of the world, use of tyre materials in processing sheep head, feet and
Open burning of tyre releases harmful chemicals which
contaminates the environment and the product being
processed further endangers the life of the consumer.
9. Slaughtering of moribund or sick animals increases the risk
of selling unwholesome meat to the public, exposing consumers to bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic infections.
10. Slaughtering of diseased animals with
Slaughtering of diseased animals with healthy ones, and
the use of contaminated drums increase the chances of
11. Predators and scavenging animals
roaming in the abattoir.
Predators and scavenging animals serve as intermediate
host of disease agents away from the abattoir vicinity
12. Open slaughter slabs as opposed to interior and hygienic abattoirs significantly increases the risk of meat contamination and disease. Not having a roof allows roaming of rodents in the slab
and flies to perch on exposed lamb meat.
THE FUTURE OF AUSTRALIAN ABATTOIR TECHNOLOGY
of rapidly detecting suitability of slaughter and
heather health parameters have recently been
observed. Recent technological developments have
led to the proliferation of new, rapid diagnostic tests
that hold promise for the improved management
and control of infectious and physiological diseases.
New technologies such as microfluidics and Labon-
Chip are examples of promising new
technologies that can underpin development of
laboratory-free diagnostic and digital health devices
The aim of this study was to examine the entire
ABOUT GREAT EASTERN ABATTOIR:
Abattoir Australia - Great Eastern Abattoir is Australia's largest abattoir for lamb, sheep, goat and beef. An Australian abattoir that exports frozen and chilled lamb and mutton. We export frozen and chilled sheep. We also export frozen and chilled goat and frozen and chilled beef. Contact us today on +61411959528 or firstname.lastname@example.org
COPYRIGHT RESERVED - GREAT EASTERN ABATTOIR - WESTONE PTY LTD 2015